Thursday, December 11, 2008

Let the rice cereal begin!

Kaylee started the journey of "real food" yesterday! I never thought that I would be so interested in all things baby, but here I am! Right in the thick of it. We had decided, with the help of our wonderful pediatrician, that we would wait until Kaylee was older (6mos) to start introducing rice cereal. Mostly due to the fact that the nutrients in my milk are apparently better for preventing allergies down the road. We went to visit Dr. Sanford on Monday and got all of her new stats. Kaylee is a whopping 13.1 lbs. now! :-) I laugh, because at her last appointment (4mos.) she weighed 11 lbs. Two months later, she's gained 2 pounds with nothing on but her helmet...did I fail to mention that her helmet weighs 5oz? That would technically not put her in the 13lb. club quite yet, but who's telling? :-)

Back to the food...my dear friend Helen gave us this great site: wholesomebabyfood.com where I began my research on if I wanted to make my own baby food or not. Turns out I do. If Kate from Jon & Kate plus 8 can do it with a family of 10, I'm sure I can figure it out for a family of 3. So yesterday was the big day! My mom & Drew bought us a VitaMix for Christmas (early so we could get started) and I made the rice cereal from scratch! Totally easy when you have the magic VitaMix...I can't speak more highly about this thing...it's a mother's magical dream come true. Anyway, feeding time went well! At first, Kaylee made this sour face of rejection, but towards the end of the "meal" she was leaning forward in her seat, hands reaching for the spoon and mouth wide open ready for more!

So away we go with the big girl food!

Breakfast with Daddy this morning!

All done! I think she got about 1/2 of it actually IN her mouth.

6 comments:

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

So sweet, JM!

My Mom loves her Vitamix and makes everything in it. The other day she made me some almond milk to give me some much needed protein and energy...that thing is a wonder machine!!

Anonymous said...

awww that's great! she is soo adorable!! :)

SEE YOU SOON! <3
xoxo

Unknown said...

Awwww :)
I lovvvvve the eating pictures.
Maybe we can vita mix some pizelles for the little lovebug!
And the snowflakes are very cute!

Natalie said...

I still haven't started Gracen on her "real food yet" not that she needs it she's a little chubby cherub. Vita Mix? should I put that on my list of things ;D
Glad Kaylee's doing so well, she's so cute

debby said...

JM, you are such a great mom. I wish I could see you more often. I miss you so much.

Unknown said...

Wow, making rice cereal? Now I'm REALLY impressed! You go, little mama! :)