Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkins and Pastizzis

Over the past few weeks, since I last wrote on this blog, many things have taken place. I will save the DOC Band update for later, because Nick has to fix our scanner. I want to post pictures with it.

SO...that leaves us with this past weekend. We were blessed to have Kaylee's Nana (Nick's Mom) come down from Santa Clara to visit for the weekend. Something I have been hearing about since before we were married was how amazing these things called pastizzis were. That's right - say it out loud - PAH-stit-sees! They are a maltese tradition that Lynn passed down to us this weekend. Homemade phyllo dough, ricotta cheese filling, another batch of homemade phyllo dough with spinach & ground sirloin filling. All I can say is that they were delicious and well worth the time that it took to make them. Kaylee had a blast hanging out with her Nana and learned so many new things. She got a bath from Nana (and didn't cry at all!), she hung out with her while I went and got my nails done (compliments of Nana), she went shopping and got the most adorable outfit ever! But the biggest deal (to me) is that she took her "big girl" pacifier from Nana for the first time! We are slowly transitioning out of the big blue hospital pacifier into the more traditional look. :-) With me, she would just gag everytime I tried to give it to her. Not with Nana! She took it like a pro. Here are just a few pictures from her visit.
Nana teaches Kaylee how to make Pastizzi

Teaching us how to roll the dough



Our first batch all by ourselves!

The next big thing was Kaylee's first trip to the Pumpkin Patch! I just LOVE pumpkin seeds and I couldn't wait any longer. So Garyn, Nate, the Kraus House and the Grewe Crew all went to find some pumpkins. Lucky for us, there was a really adorable baby pumpkin just waiting for us! Anne Geddes, eat you heart out!

And they let us take this little pumpkin home for free! :-)



5 comments:

Veronica @ Luv My Quiver Full Of Arrows said...

Those pastizzis sound sooo good!

The pics are so cute, and Kaylee is just beautiful. She would have definitely would have been the pumpkin I would have picked out of the patch, too!

God bless,
Veronica W.

Unknown said...

i love that little pumpkin head :)

Anonymous said...

awww sounds so much fun!! glad you guys had fun! I really want to see you guys! I miss youuu! happy almost halloween! <3

Anonymous said...

Oops, accidently pushed anonymous but I ment name/URl..sorry!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to having you come over and bring me a batch of pastizzis!
Oh, and I want one of those pumpkins!